One of the most exclusive and secluded neighborhoods in the city, Polo Club was developed on the 160-acre site purchased in 1920 for the purpose of creating grounds where the local polo club could keep their horses and play.
The stables were built near the polo field at the southwest corner of Alameda and Steele, and a clubhouse was built in 1926. The equestrian game was played 3 times a week throughout the 1920s and 30s while residential development began. Polo play ceased by 1936, and the Polo Club closed in 1941 and sold much of that property. One of the original land owners created a Polo Club Home Owner’s Association in 1946 to protect the remaining residents, and in 1958, following his death, 34 acres were sold to create the Polo Club Place Subdivision. Condominiums and custom built homes were built in the late 70s on the former site of the stables. Custom home construction continued into the 1990s.
Today, Polo Club is known for its spacious upscale homes on larger lots with lush landscaping and quiet streets. Privacy and seclusion are a hallmark of this neighborhood despite its close proximity to the Cherry Creek shopping district and busy thoroughfares. Residents have easy access to the Cherry Creek bike path.